Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #161

Thanks, Chuck

Both you and a dear friend pointed this out to me.  Although this has
NOT been my experience--I check my tanks fairly often and never find any
ammonia that is not expected such as that found in a new tank, bucket,
or in a tank wiht a compromised biofilter--I took to heart what you
folks mentioned.

I filled a one gallon container wiht tap water and added the recommended
two drops of sodium thiosulphate, then tested fir the presence of
ammonia several minutes later.  Tested again 15 min later.  Added two
drops more and tested again later. No detectable ammonia in any of the
tests.  We ran a control of tap water and no detectable ammonia showed
in that, either.

The test solution has been used recently and registered as expected in
all cases, so I am sure the test solution is good.

I remain unconvinced that the sodium thiosulphate is releasing enough
ammonia to be a problem.

Am I missing something here?

troi