Re: Ammonia from chloramine (was Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #162)

> Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2000 07:03:04 EST
> From: ROlesen104 at aol_com
> Subject: Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #161
>
> In a message dated 3/18/00 3:54:29 AM Eastern Standard Time,
> Aquatic-Plants-Owner at actwin_com writes:
>
> <<   So for a large water change, you
>  are essentially added a large amount of ammonia to the tank. >>
>
> Right. But is this necessarily a bad thing in a plant tank?

Yes. Very bad indeed. As little as 0.01ppm can cause irreversible gill
damage to young fish, with stunting and other general health problems to
follow. The plants may eventually use it, but not nearly fast enough for
such big doses. The toxicity is also very pH dependent, giving rise to many
"pH Myths."

The fish often show no immediate symptoms, but become subject to every
slight shock or disease that comes along. The use of hypo to neutralize
chloramine has been repeatedly shown to be a very bad idea, indeed.

Amquel, Prime, Ammo Lock 2, etc. are just about as cheap (bulk, mail order)
and they do it properly.

The ammonia still gets to the plants (at least with Amquel) without hurting
the fish. IDK about the others.

> I know
> terrestrial plants are sometimes given a shot of dilute ammonia as a
> fertilizer - nitrogen I believe...

Ammonium nitrate is a favorite fast-acting fertilizer. That doesn't mean we
should use Miracle Grow in our aquaria. (^_^) [I tried it once, so know from
experience what a bad idea it is.]

Wright

--

         "DEMOCRACY" is two wolves and a lamb voting on lunch.
     "LIBERTY" is a well-armed lamb denying enforcement of the vote.