Re: water changing

>From: Broken Tiger <admagee at teleport_com>
>Subject: Re:
>
>I have both chlorine and chloramine in my water and just but my dechlor,
>which is pure sodium thiosulphate solution that I make up from a powder
>I get from Fishy Fharmacy. Been working fine in this water for a year.
>
>For chloramine I use double dose--two drops per gallon. Many of the
>local shops also use just sodium thiosulphate for conditioning.  Plus,
>of coures the stuff required specifically by certain fish.

I have chloramine also, and I also use sodium thiosulphate BUT ONLY in my
CO2 injected tank.  The CO2 brings down the pH to a level where the ammonia
released from the chloramine is mostly less harmful ammonium.  In my office
tank, which has no CO2 injection and higher pH, I use a dechloraminator which
also takes care of the ammonia (I have killed fish in this tank when I tried
using just sodium thiosulphate).

Hoa

Hoa G. Nguyen
Freshwater Planted Aquarium: http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Hills/2637/