Bladderwort

Hey Tom  (Barr),

I am enjoying that Bladderwort (sp) I got at the SFAS auction...a very
beautiful plant.  Sort of ethereal in its apparent fragility.  But you were
right about it staying somewhat self-contained.  I like it very much.

What did you think of my plant filter?  It continues to suppress green
algae, but appears to be having little effect on the brush algae.  What an
irascible problem that stuff is.  It is almost time to do another tank
overhaul with much bleaching (and bleating on my part).  I wish I could
further minimize the long term effects of the bleach on the Anubius
leaves...I am down to only one minute of soaking in a 1:20 solution, but
still it takes its toll.  Do you think that I would have better luck with
potassium permanganate?  Would it kill the brush algae?  And would it be
less damaging to the leaves?  Do you have any guidelines as to how strong a
solution to use?  I have a lifetime supply of crystals.

One other strange idea I had was to spray the Anubius leaves with Pam
cooking spray before dipping in bleach solution in an attempt to protect
them from the bleach while continuing to expose the brush algae to the
solution.  Any thoughts on this idea?

I look forward to hearing back from you, or from anyone else who reads this
message.  I am sending copies to the APD and the SFBAAPS.

Thanks!

Alan