Re: Aponogeton/lighting/substrate

So, if I want this to flourish in the tank, I'm wondering what would be
recommended. . .

In addition to mineral supply, perhaps the consistency (substance?) of Bob's
substrate helps with these types of plants. I guess I'm wondering if I can
expect any kind of success with this plant by putting an iron/mineral supply
more local (with river gravel remaining as substrate), or whether to throw a
different planting medium around these plants? (Or maybe I should just
replace the entire substrate, in consideration of future plantings?) <shudder>

Sylvia

<< I have A. ulvaeceous growing in a 55 gallon with 80 watts.  I would
suspect
 the laterite vs. river gravel issue to be at play here.  I have a pumice
 substrate with pyrophillitic clay and peat, which (theoretically, anyway)
 supplies iron and all other needed minerals.  The addition of flourish tabs
 would not be sufficient to motivate root hair development.  I also use
 Natural Gold in the column and every five or six months I add fern and palm
 spikes.  My ulvaceous flowers non-stop.  If I had a sxecond plant, I could
 probably get seeds.