anerobic substrate

hello,
from what i've read i assume that the gas bubbles.. etc etc.. are a bad
sign.. what's the cause of this problem? from the substrate being too thick
say over 4 inches?.. the concern is my substrate at the rear of my tank is
about 6 " and around 3 inches in th front and i have a 1/2 inch of peat in
my gravel..should i be of concern? (or maybe i should read more before
posting) anyways does having fish say khuli loaches help? with circulating
some water into the substrate?
thanks
Raymond