Nutrient deficiencies: Looking for the magic brake pedal?

>I guess my question would be:  What nutrient deficiencies will just
>prevent growth, as opposed to causing visual deformities in the plants?
    I'm guessing that what's wanted here is a way to have controlled plant
growth?  Having gone through my "Now that I've got CO2, how fast can I get
these plants to grow?" phase (Answer: Way faster than I wanted!), I too am
looking for a regimen that will give healthy growing plants but won't
require weekly pruning.  The answer would seem to be  balanced fertilizer
dosing, but in smaller doses, right? -- Sherman