RE: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #138

> Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2000 10:13:03 -0800
> From: "Rubin, Michael" <mrubin at visa_com>
> Subject: shrimp question
>
> > tierney wayne wrote:
> >
> > I'm not sure exactly what type of shrimp I got (one labled as
> "ghost" and two as "algae eating") but they have all disappeared within
the
> past week.
>
> > The ghost shrimp I had had for about a month, and the other two
> were new. Does anyone know what might attack these guys? I have a dwarf
> pleco and an upside-down catfish that I feel suspicious of because they
only come out
> at night... I never get to see what they are really up to. I also have two
> > 3-inch gouramis; they seem too small to eat an inch long shrimp.

Well, since no one else has mentioned it, I guess I'll add my two cents. I
believe Upside Down cats are predators, and nocturnal to boot. They will not
only be out and about at night while the shrimp are, but they will actively
hunt them. Anything the cat can fit in his mouth is fair game, but since
shrimp occassinally have to molt, and at that point have soft shells, shrimp
of relatively large size will likely be a midnight snack. Some of the plecos
are also predatory or omnivorous, but seem much slower moving and clumsier
as hunters. I have watched Upside Down Cats cruise through a tank at night.
Nothing clumsy there.

Brett Johnson
Green Man Gardens
bnbjohns at home_com