Re: Tokyo fish

On Sun, 5 Mar 2000, Buckley, Kevin wrote:

> Another interesting LFS is in the basement of the 'Tokyu Hands' store in
> Yokohama.  Lots of CO2 gizmo's &, as well as regular fish & plants, they
> sell an aquarium set-up for Jellyfish.

Wow---I remember that place!  I was off doing research for a month in
Tokyo in 1992 or 1993, and during the very copious downtime, wandered into
Tokyu Hands (this wasn't in Yokohama, though. Closer to the center of
Tokyo -- I guess it's a chain).  Right in the middle of this multi-floor
department store there's this whole section with Dupla and Dennerle gear
and fancy planted tanks.  I took a trifold multicolor pamphlet back to the
university where I was staying and used it to memorize the Katakana
characters ("Ro bee ree a Ka duh na re su = Lobelia cardinalis", for
instance).  This was unfortunately before Amano (or any Japanese
aquascaping methodology at all) was known to us back in the US, or else I
might have sought some places.  Sometimes I wish my current employer would
send me to Tokyo... or Germany... or Denmark. :)

  - Erik

--
Erik Olson
erik at thekrib dot com