Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #134

> Steven Pituch at w2my at ev1_net wrote:
>
> > I hear the Magnum is rather inexpensive, and if it is quiet, I may get one
> > to keep the water polished on an ongoing basis.  I wonder how much the
> > micron filters cost?
>
> The micron elements are about $6 at ThatPetPlace. You can also clean and
> reuse them many times by soaking in a bleach solution. My Magnum 350 is
> pretty quiet, btw.
>
> Dan Dixon
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2000 09:52:33 -0500 (EST)
> From: ac554 at freenet_carleton.ca (David Whittaker)
> Subject: Re: Vortex or Magnum
>
> Martin Stastny asks...
>
> >Hi,
> >I have green water problem too which solution is best Vortex diatom filter
> >or Magnum filter with micron cartrige?
> >
> >Thank you
> >
> >Martin
>
> Try dosing with potassium nitrate first. If one has plants
> in the tank it almost always works -for me.
>
> - --
> Dave Whittaker
> Gloucester, Ontario
> Canada
> ac554 at FreeNet_Carleton.ca

My experience with a Magnum (H.O.T) with the micron filter installed was not what I expected. For many years ( more than 17) I used the Vortex D1, but after a storing mine in a damp basement the motor "gave up the ghost". I decided to purchase a new one,  and went to my LFS to see if anyone stocked them. The salesperson there had both the D1 and the Magnum H.O.T with micron element. According to him the Magnum with micron filter element would do every bit as good a job as the Vortex and was on sale for considerably less money. I have always used the D1 as a quick cleanup/polish filter after doing major overhauls to my tank and the thought of having a filter that could do this and serve as a supplemental/ additional bio filter sounded perfect. To make a long story short I was extremely disappointed at the results the Magnum provided. After 24 hours of running,  my tank was still cloudy from all the muck that I had stirred up (yes, I did do a water change also) . So I mail ordered a Vortex D1, received it the next day and set it up post haste. 3 hours later my tank was once again sparkling clear and the Magnum was delegated to the pile of equipment I don't use any more. As far as the Magnum 350, it  says in the literature that diatom filter powder can be added to the micron element for better filtering, but I am of the belief that it is better to get a piece equipment that is specifically designed to do a certain job well rather than a general purpose device that tries to do all things.
Bob Buettner
Waiting for the spring in Northwest CT
Check out my equipment review page at:
http://www.cshore.com/luna/Fishpics/Equipment.html