re: green water

I had the green water (algae) problem and the white water (bacteria) problem
simultaneously in my 125 and 58 gallon tanks. Each tank is CO2 injected with
4.9-5.1 watts/gallon. These tanks normally only get R/O water thru an
automatic water changing system I designed myself. The only chemicals I add
are R/O remineralizer and a KH builder. Each tank usually gets a 35-40%
water change each week with this system. But what I did was hook the system
to the tap so each tank received only tap water (prefiltered thru carbon for
dechlorination) and lots of it, approximately an 80% total water change each
day (made up of 8 small changes daily). This flushed the algae/bacteria, and
hopefully whatever was sustaining them out of the tanks within about 8 days.
The 125 gallon has been clear since, the 58 had 1 recurrence and is fine
now. Fortunately, my tap water is soft and I had no algae outbreaks because
of using straight tap water for the period I did. So for me, the answer was
a period of large sustained water changes in the tanks. Covering the tank,
diatom filters, diatomaceous earth, and flocculants just did not do it.