Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #125

In a message dated 2/29/2000 00:50:48 Pacific Standard Time,

>         I am trying to get more lighting for my plants.  The aquarium is in
>  my girlfriends apartment, and I want to avoid hanging anything from the
high
>  ceilings.  Is is safe for  a shop light to sit on the glass covering of the
>  aquarium?  The single strip light which is on there now has the balast down
>  the electrical cord so it sits on the floor.  Am I able to do the same with
>  the balast from the shoplight?  The shoplight seemed to weigh about 15lbs.
>  Which made me wonder about structural stress.

That's how I run shop lights across my 48" tanks.  Actually, the shop light
is long enough that the lips of the light reflector rest on the frame at the
ends of the tank.  There is no pressure on the glass cover at all; the
shoplight is actually supported by the frame, not the glass.  On the tanks
that have ballasts, I just set the ballast transformer on the shelf just
below the tank.  Been doing it for years with no problems.