Re: mycobacteriosis

This seems like an extreme measure. There is a medication which claims to
treat TB. Aside from that, it appears from reading the article that it is
rather ubiquitous in the aquatic world (saltwater animals, freshwater
aquaria, ponds, etc.) and rather likely that we'll wind up with fish in the
tank along the way who has been exposed, one way or another. Some species
seem more susceptible to environmental pathogens while others are generally
healthier. I am in agreement with the quarantine idea, but it seems as if
they can carry this for quite some time, far beyond a quarantine period,
before succumbing to disease (if they ever do).

As far as transmitting to humans, it's probably not a good idea to drink from
the tank, and observe sound sanitary measures when working in the tank and
changing water.

Sylvia

<< I'm afraid that the news on that front isn't very good. Most treatments
call for
 euthanizing all fish who have been in the same tank with the infected fish,
and
 using bleach and alcohol on the plants. By the way, humans can catch it too
 (fish handler's disease; siphoning water out of the tank is not
recommended), so
 be careful with open sores.

 There is a very well researched article on the disease here:

    http://www.ecn.net.au/~atappin/Myco.htm

 I had to euthanize and tear down a planted 55 gallon aquarium a few years
back
 when I put in a Melanotania species that was just in from Europe. Unless you
 raise the fish from eggs, a lengthy quarantine for rainbows is in order.