CO2 equipment

Does anyone know if a regulator for a CO2 tank has to be a CO2 regulator? In
other words, can you substitute a medical oxygen regulator or something like
that. (I noticed that acetylene regulators only go up to 400psi, but the O2
regulators go up to 3000psi. Are there differences in the size of the
couplings?

Also, does anyone have any ideas about good places to look for used tanks.
The cheapest I can find new ones is around $120, and I'm a cheapskate! I'd
like to get rid of my yeast bottles but not if it's going to break me.

Craig
(Poor starving graduate student raising a family on a stipend)