Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #89

<< I am in the process of trying to determine what sort of lighting to put
over
 my 120gal.   My plan is for an 'almost optimum aquarium' -- e.g.  no heating
 cables, but will have co2 and plenty of lights.   It seems easy to find info
 on Co2 requirements, etc.  but lighting appears to be less straight forward.

 So... my question is what is the suggested lighting for this size tank.
 Dimensions are 4'L x 2'W x 2'H.  I am assuming metal halides (x2) with
remote
 magnetic ballast and spider reflectors  but what wattage is unclear.  Money
 is not the issue with the halides (all wattages are of similar cost).
Would
 like to hear opinions from those with similar setups who have had good
 success.

 Thanks,
 Will Kimbro >>

Heya.. I have the same tank as yours.. and Im in the process of getting two
metal halide fixtures, 175 watt each.  The tank is deep, so you need more
lighting than a tank with a shorter deepness.   The fixtures Im getting are
being built by the guy who sold me the tank. They are going to be like
pendant MH fixtures, but diffrently shaped (more rectangular) and are going
to be suspended above the tank (about 8-10 inches or so above the water) by
swing arms which can be moved for maintenence.  There will be no cover on the
tank.
Hope this helps you- feel free to email me

Melissa