RE: The Paper

>Some time ago Roger Miller offered any one interested a copy of a scientific
>paper he found titled : RESPONSES OF SUBMERSED VASCULAR PLANT COMMUNITIES TO
>ENVIRONMENTAL CHANGE. You can now read it in full at
>http://www.aquabotanic.com/paper2.html
>
>Enjoy

Thanks, found it informative and true at least in  my own observations out
in CA especially on Turbity, flow rates and fragmentation. Seasonal water
levels have some seasonal effects but not on the overall health. It's those
man made ones (water levels) that really play havoc on the plants IMO.
The best environments seem to always have low turbity and flow. A turbimeter
or a secci disc can be used to measure this **but** the disc is not good for
shallow and /or clearer waters but it quite a bit cheaper! Flows and
fragmentation such as with Najas (there's some in Sonoma County, CA but not
to sure about Marin county, CA) certainly is true. Suprizingly, Echinodorus
sp. do quite well out here in high flows as they do in the Amazon with the
scouring effects of the wet and dry seasons. I have a group in the drainage
ditch right next to my house. Tough plants. Can't live in those cold winters
though. Some Egeria and Cabomba species do very well in Sierra foothills
rivers and they flow very fast and have large seasonal flucuations. But they
also have low turbity and are shallow. The TVA and The California Central
Valley Project will win against the plants every time. We have to have power
to run all of our plant tanks do we not?
FWIW
Regards,
Tom Barr