Re: potted swords

Raymond,

I've never used the clay pots, BUT I do have a nice melon sword growing in a tulip
wine glass in my 45 high. BAD picture here (http://aquariumplants.cx)
It's doubled in size since this photo and doesn't show signs of slowing down.  I can
see the root system becoming root bound inside the glass (pretty cool) but the plant
still does well.  The glass lifts the whole plant about six inches off the bottom to
make it the show piece.

I used plain old gravel with lots of mulm and a little bit of jobes in the bottom of
the glass.  I think it's pretty much confined to fertilizing the sword only. Try
it!  Experiment! It's a whole lot easier to do with pots, if it doesn't work just
pull up and replant.  I also have a 12 inch round 3 deep pie plate resting on three
rocks about 4 inches off the bottom.  This gives two nice caves for my shy critters
to hang out in and the "roof" has it's own assortment of plants.

Ray

Question-#1:
I have another question to ask about 'sword plants', I know that Amazon
sword plants produce a massive root system in the substrate. If I wanted
to plant my swords into the clay pots (so I can use specific substrate media,
eg. Laterite, soil), what size of pots should I be using?

Since the root system will be constrained within the pot, would it limit
the growth of the sword plant? (I will be using Jobes plant stick/root
tabs/flourished tabs into the substrate of the pot)Would this be an
efficient method for fertilizing my sword ONLY?

Question-#2:
Can this pot be placed anywhere in the tank? (eg. On top of a piece of
driftwood (I want the plant to be closer to the light source during its root
developmental stage after the transplant)).

Thank you very much,
Raymond Wong