not damaging the roots

Steve P. wrote:

>I think there are certain plants that do suffer a set back in growth
>whenever they are replanted. It takes them several weeks before they are
>able to grow enough root hairs to replace those lost when uprooting and
>during this time, the plant is not getting as many nutrients as it might
>otherwise from the substrate.

I don't disagree with anything you said.  But it misses the point of the
original post.  The original poster seemed to be looking for a way to get
the plants into the substrate in the tank.  If you are going to move and
re-plant the plant, whether you put it directly into the substrate, or put
it in a peat pot, or attach it to a tooth pick, insert it with tweezers, or
just use your hands, as I do except in the smallest tanks with the smallest
plants, the plant is going to experience some amount of set back.  That's
why we suggest waiting a while before adding fish to a newly set up tank.

I _still_ think the biggest factor is whether the substrate and growing
conditions _in the tank_ are conducive to allowing the plant to recover
from the transplant as quickly as possible.  (as you point out, those
conditions are not necessarily the same for every plant)  If growing
gconditions are favorable, the plant needs no special treatment for it to
set roots and begin to grow.  If conditions are NOT favorable, any special
technique used in planting is, at best, a stop-gap measure.

Karen