Re: Banned Plants

Bolling37 (Andrew) asked:

>      It seems that the USDA has declared Sunset Hygrophila and Ambulia as
> "noxious weeds" and it is now illegal to ship these anywhere in the US.
> I found out when I tried to order them from AZAquatic Gardens.  According
> their
> website, this new law is only temporary.  Does anyone know anything about
> this?

I don't know much of anything about the subject, but a quick web search
yielded this list:

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/ppq/bats/360regs.html

of "noxious weeds" which require a permit "for the movement of a noxious
weed into or through the United States".  That list, which includes
Eichornia azurea, Hygrophila polysperma and Limnophila sessiliflora (just to
list the names that are familiar to my eye) appears to date back to 1984.

The list also includes plants such as several varieties of morning glory,
cattail grass, sugarcane and wild blackberries and raspberries.

Alysoun McLaughlin
Wheaton, MD