amazon swords

Hello everybody,

just wondering for amazon swords. echinodorus species (i know.. wrong
spelling i think) but anyways if i pull out one my swords (hoping it won't
drag out too much peat...) and i can see from the side of the tank it has
quite a massive root system so can i just cut it (smaller?) and then replant
it in another place in my tank without causing damage to my plant? and also
how long can swords or any aquatic plant live for ? does that question make
sense? i hope so if not let me know and i'll try to re word it
thanks

Raymond Wong
in rainy Vancouver