Ammonia/Ammonium

I'm curious to know which (or both?) of either Ammonia (NH3) or Ammonium
(NH4+) plants can use directly & browsing the archives hasn't helped.

My water is pH=8.2 so (according to a post I read a while back) at 20C
around 6% of the Ammoni(a/um) is in the form if Ammonia.  If the plants can
only use Ammonium, what happens to the Ammonia?  Can bacteria process
Ammonia into Nitrite?  If not, does it eventually diffuse out of the tank as
a gas (whilst presumably maintaining a permanent background level of Ammonia
in the water)?

Is the Ammonia/Ammonium ratio particularly temperature dependent?  What
would the ratio be at pH=8.2 & temperature=24C?

Kevin