An easier way of planting plants?

I was home sick and started to brain storm on how to plant, plants easier.
I think I may have come up with something that might work, but wanted to see
if anyone thought it wouldn't.

I though of using paper towels or something that is quickly absorbed.  Dip
the paper towels into a very thick kind of soupy mixture of either Mgso4,
baking soda, sugar, corn starch, or something like "Substraight Gold" which
is a fertilizer you put on the bottom of the tank before the gravel goes in.

Then mold them into a cone shape.  Let this cone dry, then you could put
your new plant into the cone, add some gravel to it to hold the plant in it,
then push the cone into the gravel until it is buried.

What do you think?  Sounds so much easier then trying to do it with your
fingers.  I do not have the money to buy long tweezers.

I just can't figure out what to use to make the paper towel harden.
Something that would not hurt the plant, or screw up the water, or burn out
the new roots.

Dave Berryman