Re: Detris in the substrate

>Detritus in the gravel is something I consider a good thing for the plants.
>The old "Dutch" system is dependent upon it.
>
>> I am hoping that the sand will fill in the spaces between the gravel and
>>  prevent
>>  deitrus from getting down into the gravel.

Depends on how much the detris builds up. Decaying organics eventually can
choke the substrate of O2. Fish waste breaks down fairly quickly, fish food
and plant material break down more slowly. The substrate will go sour, and
eventually turn the water dirty if it isnt allready, and create a haven for
pathogens. The Dutch aquarists that I have talked to do a major substrate
cleaning every year or two.

Robert Paul H
http://www.aquabotanic.com