Re: substrate gravel size

>Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2000 13:31:00 -0500
>From: "Wayne Jones" <waj at mnsi_net>
>Subject: substrate gravel size
>
>I have always had a difficult time finding the right size and type of
>gravel in my area. I like something dark and I have used Black Beauty 12/40
>sand blasting sand mixed with vermiculite in the past but I really don't
>like the vermiculite and the sandblasting sand is too fine. I have access
>to a huge pile (50 tons) of pink crushed granite which I like the look of
>but the gravel is too large being in the 1/8" to 1/2" range. So what I did
>was screen the sand so I got 12/16 sand and screen the gravel so I got 4/8
>gravel. If I mix the two together will this make a suitable gravel for
>growing plants even though there is no in between size sand? I also have

I don't completly understand the way you describe the gravel size (i live in
a Country very everything is in metric units)

But i have had the best success with gravel around 1-2 mm in diameter. If it
get smaller is get's to compact like wet sand.
It it's bigger i have a hard time to get most plant to stay in the gravel
after planting them. And the dirt just drop through the gravel, and end up
between gravel, and glas bottom.

>about 3 pounds of Prince Edward Island red topsoil that I am going to mix
>into the bottom of the substrate and I am considering adding a small amount
>of peat moss with the soil as well. What are peoples opinions on the
>addition of peat into this type of substrate?

If peat would do any good i don't know. Never tried it. But please keep the
list informed if you try.
I have had best success with Mixing Duplarit in the lower 1/3 of th gravel.

Good luck with you tank.

With many Thanks

Soren ' Disky ' Reinke  ICQ #1413069

Please visit my Freshwater Aquaria Webpage
http://www.disky-design.dk/fish

Now available:

       The internets first PLANT SEARCH ENGINE
www.disky-design.dk/fish/PlantSearch/PlantSearch.html

If email replying to this mail, remove ' ihsyd ' from email address