Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #43

In a message dated 1/21/2000 01:00:36 Pacific Standard Time,

> Another question with lots of thanx if answered. Well, I plan to build the
>  2L soda plastic bottle yeast and sugar mixture for CO2 providing. I got a
>  question which answer I couldn't find anywhere: what about the pressure
>  inside the bottle? can it raise too much? What if it rises to much, is
there
>  any danger of explosion? did someone figured out some kind of safety valve
>  for this kind of arrangement? Well, the conclusion is I need to know what
>  should I do not to get into trouble with this, while trying to inject CO2
at
>  a rate of 1 bubble at 7-10 seconds in my aquarium.

The CO2 will exit the bottle unimpeded via a piece of airline tubing, and the
outlet will bubble freely into whatever you choose:  the intake strainer of
the filter is commonly used.  Since there will be no restriction of the CO2
...  that is to say, it will be allowed to freely exit the bottle via the
airline tubing, there will be no valves or anything else to restrict the
pressure, then there should be no dangerous pressures building up in the
container, any more than there could be steam pressure building up in an open
pan of boiling water.  There should be no danger of explosion, provided you
don't put any valves or cutoffs or regulators in the airline tubing.  As for
the rate of bubbles, you just let the bottle determine that for you.  It'll
be 1 bubble every 4-5 seconds when the yeast/sugar mix is fresh, then taper
down to about 1 bubble every 8-10 seconds after 7 days, then 1 bubble every
15-20 seconds after 2 weeks.  When it hits 1 bubble every 30 seconds, it's
probably time to change the yeast/sugar for a fresh mix.