Re: CaCl reaction

Richard asked:
I am trying to determine the complete reaction of CaCl2 in
aquarium?

CaCl2 comes in several varieties: anhydrous, mono-, di-, tetra-, and
hexahydrates. CaCl2-2H20 is the most common form we use, or at
least the only variety I've seen anywhere. The anhydrous form is
used as a dessicant (not easily found), and the hexa- form is pretty
expensive. It's a salt like NaCl, so when it's dissolved in water, you
get Ca++ ions and twice as many Cl- ions. Once they're in
solution, they may form weak ionic bonds with other constituents,
i.e. SO4--, Na+, K+, & NO3-, but I think they mainly stay with their
respective charges, hopefully to be used more efficiently by your
plants.

CaCl2-2H2O + H20 = (Ca++) + 2(Cl-) + 3H2O

Jamie    <"\\\><