Riccia

Bob O. writes:

>Is it possible that the Riccia is systemically infected with a type of
>blue/green algae?

No.  And it doesn't mutate either.  It's a different species, Riccia
rhenana.  When people see the dark non-floating one "take over", what has
happened is that they have unknowingly introduced just a bit (even a few
cells will do it) of the less desireable type with the "regular" one.  For
one reason or another, conditions in that particular tank favor one species
over the other.  One thrives, and the other dies out.  For more info on
Riccia and other Bryophytes, see my column in Aquarium Frontiers, in I
believe October of '98.

Karen