Re: Trickle Filters

On Fri, 14 Jan 2000, Dixon, Steven T. (Exchange) wrote:

> The only drawback I have experienced is the occasional fry or oto overboard.
> That used to distress me until I fitted out a small square of filter foam to
> fit on the inside of the trickle box overflow.  That prevents the little
> guys from going overboard.  And keeps me honest about cleaning the filter
> pad every week or two.

I found that routing 1/4" "teeth" or grooves into the top lip of the
overflow reduced the amount over overboard fish tremendously.

I use a slightly different design than the usual overflow box.  See
http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/People/Olson/prefilt.gif for a drawing.
Instead of a standpipe wrapped in a floss bag, I have an aquaclear-300
sponge.  I've found that hollowing out a hemisphere at the bottom of the
sponge near the exit hole helped keep the sponge stay unclogged for up to
a month (thereby keeping my incredibly dishonest with my tank! :).  The
reason I bring it up is that this design seems to be a little quieter than
the "normal" one.

  - Erik

--
Erik Olson