Re: Sags and vals

Hi Roger

I read that too, and it wasn't until 6 months later when I had a forest of
long blade grass taking over my tank, did I realise that the giant vals
were giant sags and they had already mixed in very well with all other
smaller vals.

Alfred

At 03:48 AM 1/17/00 -0500, you wrote:
>Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2000 21:41:24 -0700 (MST)
>From: "Roger S. Miller" <rgrmill at rt66_com>
>Subject: sag+val?
>
>Folks,
>
>There's an old factoid that Sagittaria and Vallisneria won't grow well
>together because of some kind of allelopathic interaction.  I think I
>first saw that asserted among the first posts I ever read on *.aquaria, I
>mentioned it a while back in my first ever letter to this list and it's
>mentioned rather casually in Diana Walstad's book.
>
>I have Sagittaria subulata and Vallisneria americana growing in the same
>55 gallon tank.  The vals have leaves 1/2 inch wide and 3 1/2 feet long.
>The sag has leaves about the same width and up to 9 inches long (or so). I
>have to ruthlessly cull the stands of both plants to keep them from
>getting too big and too crowded.
>
>Today while cleaning that tank I noticed that the two stands were not just
>living happy, separate lives, but had intergrown.  All participants in the
>party appeared to be having a good time.  At least, that is, until I
>culled the interlopers.
>
>Is there actual evidence for allelopathy between Val. and Sag?  Or is this
>just an internet legend?
>

>Roger Miller

In sunny Singapore - if it's not raining!

Visit my humble fish site: http://members.delphi.com/alheng