Dirt + Water = Fish

>Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2000 11:56:38 EST
>From: "Jamie Noble" <jnoble123 at hotmail_com>
>Subject: Dirt + Water = Fish!!!
>
>Hi again!
>
>I've mentioned a couple of times in the past that I've setup a bucket for
>experimenting.
>
>About 4 weeks ago I purchased a bag of CIL Premium Tropical Potting Soil
>which is produced by NU-GRO corporation (www.nu-gro.com). I emptied this bag
>into the bottom of the bucket and then added water. Two days later I added
>some ends from plants that weren't doing well.
>
>Two weeks ago I began to notice that in addition to a low pH there were also
>some sort of wiggly creatures swimming in the water. These creatures seemed
>to be changing into flying insects.
>
>Last night I noticied that there are two 1/2cm fish swimming around in the
>bucket. I'm positive that they didn't come in with a plant and they are
>definately not tadpoles. Once they get bigger hopefully I can try to
>identify them.

About the only fish eggs that could wishstand the dessication
and diapause to suvive in a bag of dirt are killifish eggs.

It's really really really unlikely that's what they are
though. It seems more likely they came in as eggs on those
plant bits you threw in.

Killi fry can be identified even when young by the pectoral
fins. They face down and look like out of sync paddles
always moving in a dog paddle sort of motion. Unmistakable
if you're used to seeing it.

The bluefin killie, L. goodei commonly comes in as eggs
on plants from Florida. Nice fish. Worth keeping.

--
Richard J. Sexton                                         richard at aquaria_net
Maitland House, Bannockburn, Ontario, Canada, K0K 1Y0       +1 (613) 473 1719