Re: E Tenellus low watts to gal ratio

Hi Alfred,

My tank have about 2.8 watts/gal (140 watts/50 gals)  and my e.tenellus are about 1 feet high.  The leaves are thin as well.  If you want to grow shorter tenellus I think you need more than 3 watts/gal.

As for green water, I always add in more fast growing plants to get rid it.  Once cleared, I'll take out those plants.  This might takes about a week but always work for me for the outdoor tank.  My indoor tank never have an algae attack before.

Best Regards,
Joo
KL, MY

>Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2000 19:25:57 +0800
>From: Alfred Heng <alheng at pacific_net.sg>
>Subject: Re: E Tenellus low watts to gal ratio
>
>Hi Tom
>
>I think you are right about the plants "reaching".  I have now experienced
>good growth with most plants in the tank, but all upwards!  I have swords
>with narrow leaves, but over 16" long!  Even though the light penetrates
>well, the watt to gal ratio is low.  I must say though, that I do not have
>the brown algae that is the norm for low light and other then green water,
>all the plants are clean.  I don't even have the green spots on the glass.
>
>The green water is the only pain in the .............!  I am going to
>increase the lighting by another 150 watts (go all the bits today).  This
>will bring up the lighting ratio to 450 watts to 180 gal or 2.5 to 1 and
>hopefully the reaching will stop.  The plants look wierd now!  My only
>worry is, with green water now will more light make it worst?

LYCOShop is now open. On your mark, get set, SHOP!!!
http://shop.lycos.com/