Re: Gymnastics and tools

Melissa (Aqua217984 at aol_com) asked:

>> Another thing, what kinds of gymnastics and tools are used by some
members
>> to prune and tend their aquascapes?  I am learning the problem with tall
>> tanks and short arms.

I kept a 44 gallon pentagon tank for a while, and boy, maintaining that was
a pain!  I've since tricked my husband into taking the tank over again (heh
heh).

Rubbermaid sells a kitchen sponge that isn't treated with anything, and has
a rough plastic coating on one side that's great for wiping algae off tank
walls (it's even safe for acrylic).  I'm sure there are other manufacturers
with kitchen sponges that will work, too.  The magnetic scrapers are also
helpful to get the job started, but they can't reach into the corner of a
tank.  If you can reach the bottom of the tank, I wouldn't suggest bothering
with those long-handled scrubbers.  I think that they require more effort --
the scrubbing angle is odd -- than just plunging an arm into the tank.

I think most people do replanting, trimming, etc., with just their fingers
(and fingernails), although Arizona Aquatic Gardens sells a line of
scissors, tweezers and forceps that are neat.  I've got the Mayo scissors
(thumbs up, they're great for cutting thick stems) and the long tweezers
(convenient for removing bits of frozen food wrapper that fall into the
tank, or dead bodies without having to stir them up with a net or touch
them, eeww).  I got the forceps for a friend for Christmas (haven't borrow
them yet).  She gives them a thumbs up, although apparently they tend to
lock closed on her.

My biggest problem lately is that I've started watering house plants with
water from the fish tank in our living room, and since the tank isn't level,
even the day after I've done a water change, the level on one side of the
tank is low.  I'm really beginning to like the idea of an automatic water
changer --

Alysoun McLaughlin
Wheaton, MD