Re: pumice

Diana writes:

> I used pumice in my substrate for my plants.  The bag showed no list of
>  nutrients or ingredients contained in the pumice.  Did I do right by using
>  it?  What are some of the pros and cons on its use in the aquarium?

There are no real nutrients in pumice.  It is a naturally occuring form of
the sintered glass that was touted heavily a few years ago for trickle
(wet/dry) filters.  It has lots of porosity, and while it starts out
floating, it will sink in a few days.  Amano uses it as a base for his
substrate, but adds stuff to it.  My best planted tank so far (55 gallon)
uses two inches of pumice in the bottom.  I stirred in a couple handfuls of
sphagnum peat and 900 mg of pyrophillitic clay.  The clay has literally every
mineral nutrient, and the peat helps make the nutrients available.  Then I
covered it with an inch of gravel, so the pumice/clay/peat mix wouldn't
float.  Fluval peat pellets may be more effective, but its ability to lower
pH drastically may not be to your liking.

I know of no real cons to using it in a tank.

Bob Dixon
Cichlid Trader List Administrator
http://cichlidtrader.listbot.com