Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #30

>Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 13:20:27 -0800 (PST)
>From: Chester Wong <chester_p_wong at yahoo_com>
>Subject: Noisy overflow
>
>Point well taken.  However, my biggest concern is slurping noise.

We've taken some steps to make our overflows very guiet.

1. Put a bioball of the right size in the fitting that returns water to the
sump. This small amount of restriction will raise the water level slightly,
keeping too much air from getting into the return and slurping. A Dupla
BioKascade works great for us but they are hard to find.

2. Fashion a strainer from needlepoint backing (plastic mesh) so that water
from the siphon chamber doesn't splash into the return/filter chamber.

3. Cut a small piece of open pore sponge to fit on top of the strainer to
further spread the water around. Basically turn the filter side of the
overflow box into a drip plate instead of a waterfall.

4. Cut a piece of 1/2" extruded styrofoam (you can find pieces downwind of
construction sites :-) to fit into the top of the overflow box, blocking
any leftover noise from getting out. And, perhaps, keeping CO2 inside the
system.

George Booth, Ft. Collins, Colorado (booth at frii_com)
    http://www.frii.com/~booth/AquaticConcepts/