Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #32

Hello Tom,

You are right, time plays a significant role in reaching an equilibrium,
but it has no influence on the position of that equilibrium.

The entire discussion on this list about the Law of Partial Pressures
treats CO2 as if it were an "IDEAL gas". Well, CO2 is NOT an ideal gas.

When "normal" gases dissolve in water, they more-or-less follow Henry's
Law of Partial Pressures. However, very soluble gases DO NOT follow that
law at all! Thus, in water, CO2 acts both as a gas and as a reactant,
forming the equilibrium

CO2 (gas) <-H2O-> CO2 (diss.) <--> H2CO3 <-M+-> MHCO3 <--> M2CO3

While it will take substantial time to reach this equilibrium (all
things remaining constant), the position of that equilibrium, in "real"
water (as opposed to pure water), will depend also on factors that have
minimal influence on "normal" and no influence on "ideal" gases: Things
like pH, alkalinity, hardness, etc. because they can radically change
the proportions of the several species in the equilibrium.

There must be rigorous ways to treat such complex equilibria, but I am
not aware of them.

Best,

George