Re: grounding ballasts in DIY hoods

Kevin Vigor asked:

" First, I am building a custom hood. While I don't yet own the
ballast for the fluorescent bulbs, I have noticed on several ballasts
a warning to the effect that the bulbs should be mounted within
some distance of a grounded reflector. This is a problem, since I
don't intend to use a metal reflector at all (the hood is wooden, and
(if I can find some) I will use mylar for a reflector, otherwise just
white paint). So, the questions: is this true of all ballasts? What
happens if I don't provide a grounded reflector? And should I worry
about grounding various metal bits (like screws) that are in close
proximity to the bulbs?"

I have the same setup you are contemplating - wooden DIY hood
with white paint interior (2 of them, actually), ballasts that warn
about the need for grounding at the reflector (4 ballasts). I don't
have a grounded reflector and my bulbs all start fine, and have for
years. However, back when I was running a reef tank with this hood
(about 10 years ago), and used different light bulbs, I did
sometimes have a problem with the lights flickering and not coming
on all the way until I touched them. To the best of my recollection, I
solved this by replacing the ballast.

I doubt you'll have a problem.

Cathy Hartland
Middletown, MD, expecting to ski in the rain tomorrow...