KH question

Roger wrote:

>Actually adding CO2 to a tank with shells in the substrate will tend to
>make to KH higher.  That's because the CO2 (which is acidic) helps
>dissolve the shells.  Without it the shell will still dissolve, but >more slowly.

All this talk about KH just when I am trying to find a way to raise mine
(or at least, my aquarium's!) that stays level.  I have added shells to
my 60 gallon, but cautiously.  No noticable difference. People always
say "add dolomite" or "add a little baking soda" but what is the measure
of "a little" or "try some..."?  I have been adding baking soda to my
water changes, but that involves add a bit, test, fiddle, test, and it
gets tiresome.  If I were to add dolomite to the canister filter, would
KH continue to creep up indefinitly, or does it rise just so far, and
stay there? Any other, more stable methods?

Sigh.

Marci