lightly filtered tank question

I'm in the process of buying a 125-gal. tank from my LFS. When I told
the guy I planned to heavily plant it and stock it with loads of
rummynoses, he said that while it definitely needed substrate heating,
it didn't need any filtration.

So, I'm gathering opinions on substrate heating and filterless tanks.
The heating sounds like a good idea, but my research on filterless plant
tanks tells me that I should probably run at least some kind of minor
mechanical filtration. I was thinking of a sump. Any opinions on
brands/types? Also, should I go with something suited for a full
125-gal., or will something smaller be fine?

Thanks for all your help!

--
Amy Hembree
amyh at atl_mediaone.net