Re: KH

Hi Karen

Thanks for the response.  I accidentally mixed up a bag of gravel from a
different source when I setup a new tank, and the bag contained some sea
shells, all crushed up into little bits.  As a result, my normally soft
water now has a KH of 8 and PH of 7 and this is with a constant flow of
bottled co2 being pumped in.  I guess if I stopped the co2 the KH would go
even higher.  Would you do anything else to lower the KH?  The plants are
just starting to kick in and seem to be growing well except for the Bacopa
Longifolia, which has put out new leaves, but they seem to be stunted.  The
tank is about 3-4 weeks old.

Alfred

At 03:48 PM 1/9/00 -0500, you wrote:
>Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2000 08:37:10 -0500
>From: Karen Randall <krandall at world_std.com>
>Subject: KH levels
>
> >What do you consider the ideal kh for a planted tank?  What is the
> >acceptable range?
>
>I f you want to inject supplemental CO2 3 is about as low as it is safe to
>go.  You can go a little lower without supplemental CO2, but some hardwater
>plants won't do as well in water this soft.  If you are injecting CO2,
>anything between 3-8 is _easily_ handled.  Above 8, I'd still try not to
>monkey with the water unless the plants proved that I really needed to.
>
>Karen

In sunny Singapore - if it's not raining!

Visit my humble fish site: http://members.delphi.com/alheng