Re: membrane reactor for CO2 (was APD V4 #14

Hello,

This sure sounds like a gadget with a semipermeable silicone membrane.

About 25-30 years ago, many newspapers carried a picture of a gerbil in
a cage, under water, inside an aquarium with fish. Two sides of the cage
were covered by the membrane and enough oxygen diffused into the cage,
and CO2 out of the cage, so the gerbil could live there "indefinitely"
(food limited).

The CO2 diffuses through the membrane into the water. The reaction at
the membrane surface (water side) is

CO2 + H2O --> H2CO3 = carbonic acid (or CO2 dissolved in water).

Water movement removes the H2CO3 from the membrane, disturbing the
equilibrium, causing more CO2 to diffuse ....

With a tight system there should be NO loss of CO2 -- 100% utilization.

Whether this gadget is practical, cost effective, etc. -- that's another
question. A properly sized bell should do just as well.

Best,

George