Fish store review

Recently I rambled about a few fish store thoughts. At least two people
responded with a comment about small local fish stores being better to
support then the big pet store discount chains. This is convential "wisdom"
which I often hear but is it good advice?

During the last few weeks I have visited five stores with the intention of
writing a review of the stores when I was done. Some stores in the list had
a follow-up visit by some friends to get their impressions.

Here are the stores (not in ranked order). I'll follow the list with my
impressions from each store and then wrap up the review with a conclusion.

1) Aquarium Services - London
2) Aquarium Services - Brampton
3) Pets Mart - London (Masonville area)
4) Smart Pet - Hamilton (near IKEA)
5) Smart Pet - London

1) Aquarium Services - London

Many years ago I worked in this store. I now have no ties to this store and
I left on good terms but it never hurts to mention these kind of things when
doing a review.

This store is located in South London. They have a reasonably good selection
of filters including Eheim, Fluval, Trickle, Aquaclear, Penquin, Whisper,
and Magnum. Even though Eheim filters were stocked many of the accessories
or even regular maintenance equipment was not. I was specifically looking
for items like the surface extractor, prefilter, 2215 gaskets etc.

Special equipment like CO2 is not available. pH monitors can be ordered.
Tanks are available from 5.5 Gallons up to 180 Gallons. Some pricey
driftwood, rocks and ornaments are available. Plant fertilizers including
Tropica Master Grow are available although they don't seem to stock Laterite
or small gravel which would be useful as a plant tank substrate. Test kits
are available for most tests but on the day when I visited the store a test
kit for Nitrate was not available. A selection of books is available
including Barron's Plant Books but more advanced books such as Amano and The
Optimum Aquarium are not. They also stock several magazines.

There is a plant display in the fish room. Unfortunately most fish room
staff do not appear to have a lot of plant related knowledge although I
overheard several conversations between customers and staff where very good
fish advice was given.

2) Aquarium Services - Brampton

Very similar to the London store in terms of stock. There was a much larger
selection of plants in the store. Again C02 injection equipment was not
available but laterite, numerous fertilizers and test kits were available.

This store did carry some plant books including Amano's three volume set.

A better selection of spare parts and Eheim equipment was available. Same
level of plant advice.

Personally I found the store messy and poorly organized. My sister mentioned
on her visit that she found the staff rude but that only occured on her
visit.

3) Pets Mart - London (Masonville area)

A large discount pet store. Limited plant knowledge and limited fish
knowledge. What this store has is an interest in learning (one particular
staff member). Limited selection of books and filters (Aquaclear, Penquin,
Magnum). Limited selection of fish and plants although this store has had
false SAE and Otto cats many times. They have also stocked the Chinese
variety as well so be careful.

4) Smart Pet - Hamilton (near IKEA)

This store has a very good selection of books and magazines (the best of any
store I reviewed, they carry the Amano books too). A wide selection of test
kits are available (including the new Hagan model). Even though the overall
number of tanks is smaller then either Aquarium Services store they appear
to have a much larger percentage of tanks devoted to Plants. Nice selection
of fish including Clown loaches. All of the fish appeared to be extremely
healthy. With the exception of one temporary tank the plants were all placed
in well lit tanks. The one exception was extremely temporary. The store
staff actually started moving the plants in the time I was there to a tank
with better lighting.

Each of the fish stocking tanks are aquascaped making for a very pleasant
shopping experience. The knowledge of the staff in this store was quite
impressive. This was the only store which even mentioned the use of C02
injection and they mentioned using both Yeast and pressurized tanks. Advice
to customers was quite good from multiple fish store staff. When asked where
more information could be found internet sites like the Krib, FINS and TAG
were all mentioned in addition to magazines and books.

They also had a tank of lovely discus for sale at a reasonable price ($39.99
each). These discus were larger then normal with good colouration, solid
eating habits and were purchased from a local breeder. Once my tank is setup
to handle discus properly I intend to go back and purchase them there.

A good selection of filters, filterilizers and test kits were available as
well. Unfortunately they don't carry Eheim filters.

As another interesting comment, I visited this store during the afternoon on
December 23 (Canada's busiest retail shopping day according to the radio).
Despite the crowds of people they still took the time to talk with their
customers (they were unaware that I was doing a review).

5) Smart Pet - London

This store unfortunately is more like your standard fish store. Nice tanks
but not aquascaped. Good selection of filters etc but smaller selection of
plants and fish then the other Smart Pet. Staff were knowledgeable but
didn't compare to the other Smart Pet.

Conclusion:

In terms of ranking, the Smart Pet store located in the same mall as IKEA in
Hamilton is definately the best store. They featured good equipment
selection, strong fish representation and a large selection of plants. Fish
and Plant knowledge from multiple staff members was very good with a solid
recommendation of some further internet based resources to look into. The
store was clean and the fish were very healthy looking (I tried hard to find
a dead fish in any of the tanks and was unable to. No tanks were being
medicated either). I strongly recommend that you visit this store if you
have the opportunity.

Sharing second place are the two Aquarium Services stores. The Brampton
store features better plant selection and marginally better fertilizer and
test kit selection while the London store is a more pleasant shopping
experience in terms of cleanliness and staff attitude. Additionally both
stores carry Eheim filters which is a major selling point for me (in case
you hadn't noticied).

What I find interesting is that in most cases the advice to patronize a LFS
is based upon the need to help keep your LFS in business. I think the true
measure of when to support a store should happen when you reflect on the
value of the advice you are receiving along with the economic cost of that
advice.

From my review there is alot of separation between the second and third
place stores especially when it comes to product knowledge. This is an
important reason why it's worth mentioning that stores with demonstratibly
good advice should continue to be supported. However the huge difference in
quality between the first and second place store also shows that the
discount status of a store is also not a reasonable criteria to judge a
store by. The Smart Pet store in Hamilton is a good solid store which
couples good prices with excellent product knowledge. Someone with
preconceived notions of support your LFS over the chains would have missed
this store and IMHO it is truly a gem.

~Jamie N