Roots in the water column

Hi all,

My 70 gal heavily planted tank has been up for about four months now and it
doing very well (in my opinion).

One problem I am experiencing is my Ludwigia and Rotala are shooting
thousands of roots into the water column.  My tank is 30 inches high (good
thing I have long arms :) so I let the plants grow very tall.  The lower
half of these guys are covered with long roots that look pretty bad.

Is this normal?  Is the water deficient in something that is causing this?
Should I just cut these out (I have been)?

Thanks fo the help,

Art
---
Check out http://www.asiapacificuniverse.com/