RE: NFC: Releasing Fish

Without the possibility of release of native fish into watersheds, the
breeder's program would have no function other than raising tank  fish for
other tanks :) forget the
repopulation of protected species -
 'endangered', or otherwise.

 The education part mentioned is the real key.  A few steps on proper care
of tank held animals and prevention of contamination, and care would be a
welcome addition to the NFC site (I'm not sure if one exists in the
articles, if so, highlighting it will be a
 priority of mine.)

 Furthermore 'mere' is relative (noted age of person posing the first
 question) and states an attitude no one should accept (either
 intentional or non).  It's a good idea for all sites involved in special
interests
 to foster such questions and answer them with as much integrity as
possible.  Implied or direct bashing of people (regardless of age) or other
sites such as NANFA defeats the purpose of a board (sharing info)  - It's
not a one vs. the other - it's all
of us vs. the problems we face in any given circumstance.

I certainly need education and I've been  raising  fish commercially for
11 years so I am sure We would all enjoy some positive input on how to do
releases the right way.

After talking with RR (more like typing) We agree that a Best-worst scale
would be good in helping everyone practice safe fish handling (hard hat time
he he)

1.  1st Degree Scenario in releasing a native fish into a watershed.  A
species specific tank is recommended, isolated from other fish. Native fish
should be reared/bred in existing watershed water... then releasing the fish
in same watershed will result in the lowest probability of problems for the
target watershed.

2.  2nd Degree scenario:  Species specific tank, different watershed - If
releasing the fish into an alien watershed, then the species should already
exist in the alien watershed.   This will increase the probability of a
disease from a different watershed (example: releasing watershed specific
organisms into a vulnerable watershed)  A prophylactic anti biotic/fungal
treatment should be used prior to release to decrease possible pathogens.

3.  3rd Degree scenario:  Non-species specific tank - It should not be
recommended to release a native fish which has spent time cohabitating with
non-native fish or other aquatic organisms, but if such a situation were to
arise in which this is unavoidable it is strongly recommended to release
only healthy fish, and use a strong prophylactic prior to release.

4.  4th Degree scenario:  Non-native species release is not recommended and
in some cases against the law.

This is an outline of proposed guidelines.  I would appreciate some
debate...

I do believe the guidelines need to encompass all of us as pertinent
recommendations and worthy of following.  I would suggest refraining from
polarizing statements or creating guidelines which push extinction of the
very hobby - love we share for native fishes.  Example, keeping native
fishes places them in jeopardy with regards to their respective watersheds.
We could conceivably restrict ourselves right out of the monumental task of
learning the natural histories of our native fishes.  And keeping them in
aquariums is one of the best methods in learning about them.

I invite comment..

Paul

Sachs Systems Aquaculture
and Web Presence