NFC: Re: Re: NANFA-- Plants

> Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't both Java Moss and Java Fern
> have both terrestrial and aquatic growth habits?

Yes, you are correct.  Java Ferns are marginal plants that like to grow on
rocks and tree roots at the water's edge.  In nature, they grow submerged
only during the monsoon season (for the most part).  Java Moss, if I
remember correctly, is primarily terrestrial, but grows in very damp
rainforest conditions.  It just happens to do okay underwater.

Many of the plants we keep in our aquariums are marginal plants that come
from marsh or bog habitats.  This includes the popular Anubias, Echinodorus,
and Cryptocorne, some species of which are difficult to grow completely
submerged.  Ever notice that these species occasionally produce a little
flower (called an inflorescence)?  Well, guess what - those flowers are not
pollinated by fish - they are pollinated by insects (the kind that fly)!
KnowwhatImean, Vern?

Chris
Christian C. Burke
cburke.fish-head at worldnet_att.net