Re: NFC: Releasing Fish

> >People who do it should be shot on sight.
>
> So you never done it?

Never, ever.  I know sometimes folks get emotionally attached to a fish that
has lived a long time with you, but it is just a fish.  In all honesty, if a fish
shop doesn't want it, and you don't want it, net it, kill it humanely, and use
it for bait or fertilizer.

People don't think much about it, but in a lot of the US, aquarium released
fish are establishing themselves and doing significant damage.  We've got
Pacus and plecostomus roaming the streams and bayous of Texas, we've
got Oscars galore in Florida; these fish displace native fish.  For every
Oscar you see in florida, a black bass or sunfish was meant to be.  For
every plecostomus you see in Texas a native drum or buffalo was meant to
be.

Richard Walker
Houston, TX
http://www.neosoft.com/~rww/kayak_log.html