Re: NFC: Re: Amature stocking...

A serious concern if you are doing the Ambush thing is disease and
genetic diversiy..for example many unique strains of Bass and trout have
been ruined by Ambush stocking of other strains...Yes the feds have done
a  fair amount to , but its still wrong!

On Sun, 12 Dec 1999 17:44:55 EST CEFCHURCH at aol_com writes:
> I don't know much about the subject and perhaps others with more
> experience
> and training than I can jump in here.  Comments welcome.
>
> (1)  You may introduce fish disease by stocking fish from other
> waters.
>
> (2)  This disease may be picked up from the aquarium equipment you
> have and
> could even come from your tropical fish.
>
> (3)  Many lakes were stocked with a management plan in mind, even if
> it is
> geared towards sport fishing.  Introducing other types or sizes of
> fish can
> screw this up.
>
> (4)  If it is a public water, that area may be being used for tests
> by the
> professionals; introducing may result in bad data.
>
> (5)  I suspect there may even be laws against stocking public
> waters, though
> I don't know that.
>
> (6)  In some cases, introducing new fish may change/screw up the
> genetic pool
> for the bad.
>
> Generally, while private stocking is probably well intentioned, what
> I have
> learned from the lists is that it is best left to the trained
> experts.  I
> never release fish in to the wild unless I just caught it.  If NFC
> doesn't
> have a code of conduct or something along thatl ine, perhaps we
> should have
> one and cover this subject.  It seems like NFC is supporting exotic
> removal
> now.
>
> Chuck Church
> Indianapolis, Indiana USA
>
> In a message dated 12/12/99 4:11:21 PM US Central Standard Time,
> robertrice at juno_com writes:
>
> << Here are my thoughts on amature stocking. Thought it would make
> an
>  interesting thread.
>
>  Most people do what I I call ambush stocking, That is they put
> sport fish
>  , aquarium fish into someone elses lake . Sometimes its a public
> lake
>  often times its a private lake. Their intention is to have a new
> home for
>  their giant oscar or to creat a secret fishing hole.....Thats
> patently
>  WRONG !
>
>  If you dont have the nerve to speak to the property owner you
> shouldnt
>  fish there,  its stealing. I own a Lake and It is amazing how many
> people
>  will just walk up with a 6 pak of beer and a fishing pole and start
>  fishing...heck i have had them take my lawn chairs to the other
> side of
>  the lake so theyd be more comfy...
>   >>

Robert Rice
All Men are equal until the point of exertion
 http://www.nativefish.org