NFC: Re: Amature stocking...

I don't know much about the subject and perhaps others with more experience
and training than I can jump in here.  Comments welcome.

(1)  You may introduce fish disease by stocking fish from other waters.

(2)  This disease may be picked up from the aquarium equipment you have and
could even come from your tropical fish.

(3)  Many lakes were stocked with a management plan in mind, even if it is
geared towards sport fishing.  Introducing other types or sizes of fish can
screw this up.

(4)  If it is a public water, that area may be being used for tests by the
professionals; introducing may result in bad data.

(5)  I suspect there may even be laws against stocking public waters, though
I don't know that.

(6)  In some cases, introducing new fish may change/screw up the genetic pool
for the bad.

Generally, while private stocking is probably well intentioned, what I have
learned from the lists is that it is best left to the trained experts.  I
never release fish in to the wild unless I just caught it.  If NFC doesn't
have a code of conduct or something along thatl ine, perhaps we should have
one and cover this subject.  It seems like NFC is supporting exotic removal
now.

Chuck Church
Indianapolis, Indiana USA

In a message dated 12/12/99 4:11:21 PM US Central Standard Time,