[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
NFC: Re: Amature stocking...
I don't know much about the subject and perhaps others with more experience
and training than I can jump in here. Comments welcome.
(1) You may introduce fish disease by stocking fish from other waters.
(2) This disease may be picked up from the aquarium equipment you have and
could even come from your tropical fish.
(3) Many lakes were stocked with a management plan in mind, even if it is
geared towards sport fishing. Introducing other types or sizes of fish can
screw this up.
(4) If it is a public water, that area may be being used for tests by the
professionals; introducing may result in bad data.
(5) I suspect there may even be laws against stocking public waters, though
I don't know that.
(6) In some cases, introducing new fish may change/screw up the genetic pool
for the bad.
Generally, while private stocking is probably well intentioned, what I have
learned from the lists is that it is best left to the trained experts. I
never release fish in to the wild unless I just caught it. If NFC doesn't
have a code of conduct or something along thatl ine, perhaps we should have
one and cover this subject. It seems like NFC is supporting exotic removal
Indianapolis, Indiana USA
In a message dated 12/12/99 4:11:21 PM US Central Standard Time,
robertrice at juno_com writes:
<< Here are my thoughts on amature stocking. Thought it would make an
Most people do what I I call ambush stocking, That is they put sport fish
, aquarium fish into someone elses lake . Sometimes its a public lake
often times its a private lake. Their intention is to have a new home for
their giant oscar or to creat a secret fishing hole.....Thats patently
If you dont have the nerve to speak to the property owner you shouldnt
fish there, its stealing. I own a Lake and It is amazing how many people
will just walk up with a 6 pak of beer and a fishing pole and start
fishing...heck i have had them take my lawn chairs to the other side of
the lake so theyd be more comfy...