Re: NFC: RE: outdoor daphnia magna - they appear to be back

Can I get some starters from someone I have several empty tanks that
would be nice back porch hatcheries...

On Fri, 10 Dec 1999 13:36:32 -0900 "Hemsath, Gay"
<GHemsath at alascom_att.com> writes:
> Chuck
> As can be seen in the text below the Daphnia ephippia (resting eggs)
> do not
> have to be either dried out or froze in order to hatch; although
> they can
> with stand either on or both and still be viable.
> Gay
> =============================
> Hatching Daphnia ephippia (resting eggs):
> I have started Daphnia from ephippa (resting eggs).  Easy?  If
> you've
> hatched fish eggs, I'd say yes.  If you are getting ephippa (resting
> eggs),
> they will appear in black saddles on the females.  Take enough water
> from
> the tank to fill a 10 gallon tank with about half an inch of water.
> Catch
> out the saddled females and put them in this half inch of water.
> Allow the
> tank to completely evaporate.  Wait a few weeks, and then fill the
> tank all
> the way up.  > An amazingly tough egg.  It can withstand being dried
> out >
> and sun baked, frozen.
> Question is how long can they remain dormant and the eggs still be
> viable ?
> I've read somewhere they can remain viable for years.
> Ephippia are the resting eggs that can withstand freezing and drying
> conditions.  They are black, saddle-bag shaped, and pretty
> hydrophobic,
> about 1 to 2 mm long and look like specks of pepper, some of which
> will
> float on the surface of the water and others which will sink to the
> bottom
> of the culture container.  What is nice is that they will also
> withstand
> sterilizing in a three to five minute bath in 5% Clorox solution,
> which very
> few microorganisms will do.  Just rinse them after this and put them
> in some
> aquarium water and place in the refrigerator for about two weeks.
> Fill a
> two to ten gallon aquarium with
> All Daphnia species produce large black ephippia (resting eggs) if
> exposed
> to too high or too low a temperature, lack of food, over crowding or
> too
> short a light period.  In these cases some of the Daphnia will
> become males
> and mate with the females, producing ephippia (resting eggs), which
> can
> resist drying and freezing.  The ephippia (resting eggs) look like
> specks of
> pepper, some of which will float on the surface of the water and
> others
> which will sink to the bottom of the culture container.  Once this
> starts to
> [...]

Robert Rice
All Men are equal until the point of exertion
 http://www.nativefish.org