From: Chris Hedemark <chris at yonderway_com>
To: <nfc at actwin_com>
Sent: Sunday, December 05, 1999 11:44 AM
Subject: Re: NFC: Re: cat food???

Norman Edelen wrote:

> I personally have always doubted products marketed in the aquarium hobby
as
> being only for one species.  I feed goldfish foods, marine fish foods,
> tropical fish foods, and trout chow (considering broad categories of
> prepared food, and ignoring the live and frozen and homemade foods I use)
> any species I am keeping that will eat flakes or pellets.  How can a
> goldfish food not feed barbs?  On the other hand, I will never understand
> one species hobbyists, those people only keeping goldfish, or only keeping
> carp, or only keeping bettas, etc.  The hobby is all about variety.

With some types of cichlids, and certainly with pacus, I've had great
success using Repto-Min sticks from Tetra.  The food marketed for the
fish I had didn't show good growth rate or coloration, but the turtle
sticks showed both.

Speaking of variety, I think that too is important in foods.  If you
ever take the opportunity to inspect the stomach contents of a fish you
will find a variety of foodstuffs has been consumed.  Especially in
predators.  In bass I have seen crayfish, tadpoles, other fish, duckweed
(presumably taken while eating fish near the surface), insects, and even
on one occaision some kind of small rodent.  Most of the fish we keep
are likely omnivorous and in order to provide maximum health, a good
variety of foods must be provided.  I like to experiment.  Boiled
spinach, chopped "cocktail" shrimp, bloodworms, glassworms, flake food,
mussels.  I do shy away from frozen brine shrimp as it seems to make an
awful mess of the tank and the fish don't seem to really go for it with
as much gusto as some of the other foods.  Live brine is of course
another story.

--

"I would remind you that extremism in defense of liberty is no vice; and
I would remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no