Re: NFC: need help - adopt-a-tank

Hey Chris.

  As you undoubtably know, I am currently a student in the Ecology and
ENvironmental Technology program, eventually going on to get my degree in
limnology.  For me, aquaria have been rather inspirational towards this
goal.  From watching the fish in the fish tank, an ainterst in them and
later their natural habitats grew, which is developing itself into a
career in limnology -- which, I suppose, could be called the study of
their (the fishes') natural habitats.  Native aquaria give a rare
opportunity to study fish in more natural habitats -- lets face it, most
of us have a rather poor understanding of what the AMazon River is really
like.  We can set up _true_ biotypical aquaria from first-hand experiences
in the classroom and then even compare it to real ones....  A trip to Peru
is a bit expensive, especially for t he hour long period of high school.
However, a short jaunt tto the creek running beyond the soccer field is
perfectly reasonable.
  During my project next semester, we will be using a fish tank of native
fishes to simulate the environment of a lake and understand how certain
chemicals applied to the watershed are affecting the fish and other life
in the tank.  THis is a very important leg of the study, and one that is
certainly in the lines of an adopt-a-tank type project.
Josh, Evil List Admin's Eviler Twin Brother.

end
><>
Joshua L. Wiegert                                AIM UID: Etheosoma
NFC Lists' Administrator                         Wiegerj at paulsmiths_edu
www.geocities.com/RainForest/Jungle/1680/        owner-nfc at actwin_com
other commands, or feel free to contact me at Owner-NFC at actwin_com.  All
lists are @actwin.com. Come join us and chat about our native fishes, or
visit http://www.nativefish.org!